Full name: Rodrigo Andres Rios Rodriguez
Mother: Maria Eugenia
Father: Santiago Marcelo (passed away 12/15/06)
Brothers: Javier (20)
Sister: Marcela (31)
What do they do?
My mom has a small business. She sells chess boards. My brother is studying journalism at a Chilean University, and my sister is married, has a beautiful daughter and she works as a lawyer in an big Chilean company.
Interesting facts about you that people might not know
I’ve been married for 7 years and have a daughter, her name is Victoria. She’s almost 4 years old and she has been living in Chile with her mom for about 6 months now. Before that we lived together in Atlanta as a happy family. Now I call her every two days and talk for about 30 seconds, she doesn’t like to talk on the phone so she just says: “hi daddy, I’m OK, I love you” and she sends me a kiss. It’s hard to live without her.
Where do you come from:
I’m from Chile where I lived all my life before moving here
When did you start playing soccer:
I played soccer all my life. I started in school and when I was 10 years old I singed with a pro club in Chile, Universidad Catolica, I played on youth teams until my first pro game in February 1996 – with the same club. I played with Universidad Catolica until 2001. I continued my career with Palestino and Union Espanola, both in the Chilean first division. 2005 was my first season with the Silverbacks.
Quick summary of your soccer career:
Also I played on U-20 and U-23 national (Chilean) teams, Libertadore cup, and south American cups many times.
- Favorite Soccer Player? (Zinedine Zidane)
- Favorite Restaurant? (I like to try something different every time)
- Favorite Food? (Pizza)
- Favorite Sport other than soccer? (I like to watch all sports, but I enjoy playing golf and tennis)
- Favorite Pro team other than Silverbacks? (Villarreal, from Spain, the coach was my first pro coach)
- Favorite place to visit/vacation? (Anywhere with sun beach and a good place to rest, Santiago in Chile is a good place too, there leave my family and old friends)
- Do you have a nickname? (No)
- Go to the movies or rent a movie? (I prefer go to the movies)
- Order in or go out? (I prefer go out, but some time when I’m tired is good to order in)
- Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry? (Chocolate with strawberry)
- Summer or winter? (Summer)
- Besides playing soccer, what is your dream job? (My dream job is work in a sports organization, ideally in soccer with the Silverbacks)
What is your favorite country?
I leave in the world with no boarders, my favorite country is the one where I feel happy and can play soccer. So, USA and Chile are my favorite countries.
What is your favorite city in the US?
Atlanta! Here I have more than I expected.
How often do you get to go home for a visit?
Once a year for Christmas and hopefully bring my daughter to Atlanta for a visit every year.
Who is your best friend?
I have very good friends, but I don’t think I have the “best” one.
Do you have a favorite goal you scored?
My favorite goal is the next one – what’s in the past is in the past.
Which team do you like to play against the most?
I like to play against the best teams; in the USL league I enjoy playing against Charleston Battery.
One advice you would give to all the young soccer players out there?
Soccer is not your life. It is a part of your life, so don’t forget the family, your friends and your studies. Soccer will help to be a better person as well as other things in life will help you to be a better soccer player.